Saturday, April 2, 2011

With a Little Help From My Friend


The Beatles were onto something. Who doesn't need a friend? We all just need someone to love and someone to love us in return. Our associations with one another make life sweet. When the day is done and hardships overcome, we get by with a little help from our friends.
It seems that 2011 is the year to come to India. A buddy of mine that I tutored grade school kids with in Salt Lake dropped by this weekend. He is here for a national outdoor leadership school (NOLS) mountaineering course in the Himalaya. I can't help but be a tiny bit jealous. What a trip he is going to have. And what kind of friend would I be if I left him nameless? His name is Chris. He flew in a few days early and spent the past two days here in Delhi with me. It was really good to see someone from back home. We really did not do much to be honest. On Friday I helped him get his bearings and then he went roaming around Delhi while I went to work. We made some good Dalh and Roti for dinner that night. Today we wandered the streets of old Delhi and visited Gandhi's resting place. On a side note I have to say it was fun switching from English, Hindi, and Japanese as I interacted with people we came across on the streets. Then he hopped in a cab and was gone. It was short, but it was sure good to see him and spend hours talking about adventures in the outdoors and gear. It was also really interesting to see his reaction to India. Being with him made me realize all the "Indianisms" I have picked up. The body language. The manner of speaking. The famous, and debatably hilarious, head bobble.

Today is the Crickett World Cup. India vs. Sri Lanka. The country is closed down. I can hear the cheering from the crowds gathered together to watch the match. I am sorry India but I find Crickett to be one of the most boring sports I have ever witnessed. Hah. I am glad they love it though. Wednesday was India's victorious match against Pakistan. I have never seen so many fireworks. The city skyline exploded with bursts of red, green, and white in all directions. From roof tops and street corners the celebrators let rockets fly. Bands played and marched through the streets. It makes me wonder what would have happened if India had lost. Riots.

What interests me the most though is the approaching storm. It is bringing cool winds and rain. There just might be a show of thunder and lightning tonight. Just imagine what that will look like with celebratory fireworks accompanying it if India wins tonight. Should be something worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment